Who We Are
WPI-State is a policy advocacy and leadership training fellowship for advocates and activists who work in non-profit or grassroots organizations. We accept applications from genderqueer and non-binary people, cisgender and transgender women, and transgender men, especially BIPOC folks, who want to build their skills, on behalf of their organizations, to influence public policymaking at the state level.*
As a pandemic continues to rage and as folks take to the streets to challenge anti-Black and transphobic violence, we’re reminded we live in a system never meant to serve the majority of us. We know the time for change is now.
At its core, WPI-State affirms that the people closest to the problems and harm should be centered and shaping the solutions to address them. WPI-State seeks to diversify the policy arena by building the leadership of people impacted by gender-based oppression, violence, and discrimination.
Each year the WFC chooses specific intersectional issue areas for WPI fellows to advance. This year WPI-State expects fellows to more explicitly integrate anti-racist and transgender justice lenses through their policy focus. In 2020, we are seeking applications in the following five issue areas: criminal justice reform; economic security; community health; reproductive health, rights, and justice; and trauma services and prevention.
Please carefully read the application instructions for detailed information on issue areas, criteria, training dates, and how to apply. The link to the online application is at the bottom of this webpage.
* The term ‘cisgender’ describes someone who identifies with the gender they were assigned at birth. The terms ‘transgender’ and ‘non-binary’ describe someone whose gender identity is different from the one they were assigned at birth.
Application Release: Tuesday, August 4th, 2020 PDT
Online Application Due: Monday, August 31st, 2020 5 PM PDT
Application Status Notification: No later than September 24, 2020
Informational Calls: Click the links below to sign up for one of our informational webinars.
- Webinar #1: Wednesday, August 12th from 9AM – 10AM PDT
- Webinar #2: Monday, August 17th from 12PM – 1PM PDT
- Webinar #3: Wednesday, August 26th from 4PM – 5PM PDT
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions after reading the instructions and FAQ, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All genderqueer and non-binary people, cisgender and transgender women, and transgender men.
- Individuals living or working in California.
- Individuals working for and/or connected with a community-based or non-profit organization with the full support of their employer and/or supervisor.