Who We Are
The California Gender Justice Funders Network is the first collaborative of its kind dedicated to turning up the volume on gender by centering women and gender at the heart of the solution to any systemic problem. In California, we have the political, cultural, and movement leadership to take a bold new approach to defining and advancing our vision of gender justice. Now is a critical moment to create the world we envision where women, girls, especially women and girls of color, non-binary, gender nonconforming and genderqueer people have a bright and equitable future.
What We Do
The Network is made up of funders who will share tools, research, best practices and policies, and will collaborate on funding initiatives to change the culture and harmful narratives that promote injustice and discrimination against women of all kinds.
The California Gender Justice Funders Network is a growing number of funders coordinating their investments to advance gender justice in California.
The Network’s primary goals are to create a learning community to share research, tools, best practices and policies as well as collaborate and amplify the collective impact of our work.
California Leading the Way
- Just as California leads the way on progressive political and cultural issues, the California Gender Justice Funders Network will advance the national conversation on what gender means and what true gender justice and freedom looks like
- From the #MeToo movement to the wave of women, people of color, and LGBTQ people elected to office in 2018 to unconstitutional abortion bans in 9 states – it’s clear that now is a critical moment to move an agenda forward on gender justice.
- We are invested in accelerating the shifts happening in our culture through organizing, building coalitions, and changing the way we “think” and “talk” about gender. The national conversation on sexual assault and harassment and the continued attacks on reproductive rights has shown that we can’t fix this problem with policy alone.
- Culture — from what we watch, read, and tweet — is an inescapable part of our lives and has enormous power over how we think about issues. By changing how we talk about gender, we can create broad public support for a new way of thinking that embraces gender, racial, and economic justice.
- We work to elevate issues that will advance gender justice for women (especially those from low-income backgrounds), communities of color, immigrants, and lesbians, transgender, and gender-nonconforming people by building an environment where conversations about gender issues are taken seriously and lifted up.
- We’re not just creating and sharing messaging. We’re creating new accessible stories, tools and methods that anyone, including advocates, artists, and grassroots organizers, can use in their communications and organizing efforts – making us a stronger and more adaptable movement.
Learning Activities & Events
July 16, Oakland, 10am-1pm
The California Endowment
Disaster Response Learning Exchange
July 22, New York City
Funder Briefing: Culture Change as a Strategy to Advance Gender and Reproductive Justice
August 26, Los Angeles
Learning Exchange with Participant Media and Ai-jen Poo (National Domestic Workers Alliance) on the role of Roma and On the Basis of Sex in shifting narrative and culture.
September 4, New York City, Ford Foundation
Learning Exchange: Culture Change as a Strategy to Advance Gender and Reproductive Justice —a Report Back from Culture Change Researchers
What is Gender Justice?
Gender justice is a framework used to bring about the fair and equitable treatment of people of all genders, working to achieve dignity for all. It serves all those directly impacted by gender- based oppression, including transgender and cisgender women, genderqueer and non-binary people, and transgender men. True gender justice is intersectional and incorporates the needs and perspectives of those working towards racial justice, immigrant rights, LGBTQ+ liberation, disability justice, among others.
Background & Steering Committee Members
Convened by the Women’s Foundation of California in partnership with Philanthropy California, the Network is comprised of a diverse group of veteran funders including Blue Shield of California Foundation, The California Endowment and more.
- To learn more or to join the California Gender Justice Funders Network, please contact, email@example.com
About the Women’s Foundation of California
The Women’s Foundation of California is a publicly supported grant making foundation that invests in, trains, and connects community leaders to advance, gender, racial, and economic justice. Learn more at www.womensfoundca.org.