In this dynamic role, the Communications Coordinator will support the Women’s Foundation California team in telling engaging stories that trumpet our intersectional feminist values and invite folks into a culture of joyful activism. With a focus on social channels, the Communications Coordinator will create engaging online content rooted in racial, economic, and gender justice and contribute to the work of a high-functioning Communications team.
A “typical day” in this role might include crafting social media content highlighting the impact of our Women’s Policy Institute, proofing a press release, attending a meeting to coordinate deadlines for a fundraising campaign, and programming website content that features the story of a grant partner.
This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter who is looking to flex their exceptional skills as a content creator, detail coordinator, and teammate all in the service of positioning the Women’s Foundation California as a thought leader in gender justice. The Communications Coordinator will report to the Communications Manager and Director of Storytelling and Strategy and will work closely with Program and Development Teams across Women’s Foundation California.
- Maintain and cultivate the Foundation’s digital presence across platforms
- Create and program dynamic and relevant content both written and graphic
- Research trends and implement best practices
- Monitor accounts and engage our online community with comments and questions
- Organize files, assist with website updates, coordinate calendars, and generally facilitate the smooth day-to-day operations of the Communications Team
- Support and help to coordinate cross-team events and projects including but not limited to fundraising campaigns, webinars, or other events.
Skills + Experience
- Powerful and dynamic storyteller
- Manage multiple projects and deadlines; work independently and strategically; exercise passion, patience, and professionalism
- Demonstrated expertise with digital content creation
- Strong eye and basic design skills, Canva or Photoshop preferred
- Firm grasp of social media content best practices and experience with social publishing and reporting tools: Later, Tweetdeck, or Hootsuite.
- 2+ years of experience working in communications or marketing
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Passionate about gender justice
- Detail-oriented communicator with a positive approach, can-do attitude and a sense of humor.
- Drive to innovate, use new platforms and tools, try new things and learn.
Compensation, Work Hours and Benefits
- Communications Coordinator is a full-time exempt position with a salary range of $65,000 -$75,000 annually. Salary offer will be dependent on experience.
- We provide 15 days paid vacation to start which increases over time (20 days after 2 years, and 25 days after 6 years); 12 paid sick days, 15 paid holidays, paid winter break and a flexible, family-friendly schedule.
- The Foundation offers generous benefits including paid parental leave, medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and AD&D insurance with the Foundation covering 100% of the costs of the insurance package for employees and minor-aged dependents and a portion of premiums for adult spouses.
- Additional benefits include: flexible spending account, telephone/internet stipend, health and wellness stipend, and 401(k) retirement plan contributions match.
- The Foundation operates with a remote workforce across California using Slack, email, and Zoom to coordinate our work across the state
- The Foundation operates on a four day work week – Monday through Thursday
About the Women’s Foundation of California
The Women’s Foundation California has a more than 40-year track record working to advance gender, economic, and racial justice. Our core strategies are: investing in community organizations, training community leaders, and connecting community partners. We support movements led by cisgender and transgender women, gender-variant, genderqueer, and non-binary individuals–especially those who are formerly incarcerated, immigrants, people of color, low-income, and/or queer.
We’re a dynamic, smart, collaborative group of people who are passionate about our work and committed to making good things happen for all Californians.
Our Values and Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, transgendered people, gender non-conforming individuals, and formerly incarcerated people to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, we recruit and hire with the understanding of systemic oppression and of the lived reality of people with marginalized identities.
Physical demands and work environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position for long periods on a computer. All Women’s Foundation California employees currently work from home.
Applications & Deadline
To apply upload a cover letter highlighting your interest in the position and what makes you a strong candidate, your resume, and two short writing samples (no more than 500 words). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. However, we prefer to receive applications by March 22nd.
Women’s Foundation California (Foundation) operates with an entirely remote workforce and all positions are virtual. The Foundation provides employees with the necessary equipment and remote access to work from home.
Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Remote/Anywhere in CA
Reports to: Director of Digital Communications + Strategy, Director of Storytelling + Strategy
Status: Exempt Full-Time