How will the training program be structured?
- Two multi-day overnight retreats in Sacramento and Oakland with trainings lead by Women’s Foundation of California staff, policy experts and guest trainers.
- Eight mandatory webinars to provide critical trainings for the fellowship learning and work followed by team work time to move policy projects.
- Reading and homework will be assigned in advance of the retreats or webinars and throughout the fellowship.
- Teams will be expected to have weekly meetings or conference calls throughout the fellowship.
- Each team will select one member to take on the project manager role. This member will upload the team narrative in the application process, be the first liaison with Foundation staff, and help the team adhere to deadlines. All team members are expected to contribute equally to the work of the policy project and the project manager will help with logistics of the fellowship. The project manager may be changed during the fellowship.
- Foundation staff will guide the teams through the process, supplemented by expert consultations as needed for each team. Regular communication with Foundation staff is expected from all teams.
- Trainings and materials will be provided in both English and Spanish.
When will the training take place?
The WPI-Local fellowship is scheduled from March 2018 – February 2019. The retreat and webinar dates are:
Webinar/Work 1: Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 10am-2pm
Webinar/Work 2: Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 10am-2pm
Class Retreat 1: May 7-9, 2018, Sacramento, CA (Fellows are expected to arrive the night before.)
Webinar/Work 3: Wednesday, June 20, 2018, 10am-2pm
Webinar/Work 4: Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 10am-2pm
Webinar/Work 5: Wednesday, September 12, 2018, 10am-2pm
Webinar/Work 6: Wednesday, October 17, 2018, 10am-2pm
Webinar/Work 7: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 10am-2pm
Webinar/Work 8: Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 10am-2pm
Class Retreat 2: February, 20-21, 2019, Oakland, CA
Training sessions at the retreats are all day long and all sessions are mandatory. Team members will gather together for each webinar, which takes place from 10am to 12pm PST, followed by in person team work time. The webinars and team work time are both mandatory. Applicants should block off these dates and times in their calendar until they receive an email notifying them of the Foundation’s decision.
For more information on WPI-Local training details, please read the complete application instructions (PDF).
We encourage you to contact Senior Program Associate Elizabeth Ayala with any questions or concerns and to discuss your team’s application.