How will the training program be structured?
- Four multi-day overnight retreats with their peers from across California consisting of trainings led by Women’s Foundation of California staff, policy experts and guest trainers.
- Three mandatory webinars to provide critical trainings for the fellowship followed by team work time to immediately apply learnings to a team’s policy projects.
- Reading and homework will be assigned in advance of the retreats or webinars and throughout the fellowship.
- Teams will be expected to have weekly meetings or conference calls throughout the fellowship.
- Since this program moves quickly, each team will select one member to take on the project manager role. This member will upload the team narrative in the application process, be the first liaison with Foundation staff, and help the team adhere to deadlines. All team members are expected to contribute equally to the work of the policy project and the project manager will help with logistics of the fellowship. The project manager may be changed during the fellowship.
- Foundation staff will guide the teams through the process, supplemented by a contracted advocacy expert with a focus on community organizing.
- Regular communication with Foundation staff is expected from all teams.
- Trainings and materials will be provided in both English and Spanish.
When will the training take place?
The WPI-Local fellowship is scheduled from April 2019 – February 2020. The retreat and webinar dates are:
- Retreat 1: April 17-18, 2019
- Location: Oakland, California
- Retreat 2: May 14-16, 2019
- Location: Sacramento, California
- Webinar 1: June 19, 2019, 10am PST to 12pm PST
- Retreat 3: July 17-18, 2019
- Location: Los Angeles, California
- Webinar 2: September 11, 2019 10am PST to 12pm PST
- Webinar 3: October 16, 2019 10am PST to 12pm PST
- Retreat 4: February 26-27, 2020
- Location: Riverside, California
Training sessions at the retreats are all day long and all sessions are mandatory. The retreats and webinars are all mandatory. Applicants should block off these dates and times in their calendar until they receive an email notifying them of the Foundation’s decision.
For more information on WPI-Local training details, please read the complete application instructions (PDF).
We encourage you to contact Program Manager Elizabeth Ayala with any questions or concerns and to discuss your team’s application.