What We Do
The Funders Policy Institute (FPI) is an immersive learning program focused on increasing philanthropic resources to support policy advocacy advancing racial, economic, and gender justice throughout California. FPI affirms that the people closest to the problems and harm should be centered and shaping the solutions to address them. Participants learn directly from policymakers and advocates while connecting with other funders who are committed to effective, trust-based grantmaking that centers communities.
Who We Train
The Funders Policy Institute is for individuals who inform or decide how resources support social change organizations and movements. FPI is open to individual donors, staff of foundations and other grantmaking entities (e.g. program officers, grants managers, senior leaders), board members, philanthropic advisors, evaluators, affinity group leaders, and members of funding collaboratives or funding circles. FPI is open to people of all gender identities.
Past participants reflect a wide range of funding areas that cross issues and strategies, such as: racial justice, gender justice, LGBTQIA+ rights, economic justice, health equity, criminal legal system reform, reproductive health and justice, housing, education, childcare, aging and elder care, climate and environment, leadership development, civil rights, democracy and civic engagement.
How We Work
Over the course of four days (spread over 2 weeks), participants will learn:
- An intersectional feminist approach to supporting policy advocacy that centers those closest to issues and solutions
- Best practices to support policy change and budget advocacy efforts that target state and local governments
- Lobbying and advocacy rules for foundations and nonprofits
- Trust-based approaches to building partnerships with community advocates, movement leaders, and legislators
Wednesday, July 14th
Monday, September 20th
Virtual Retreat Dates
- Day 1: Tuesday, October 26, 2021
- Day 2: Wednesday, October 27, 2021
- Day 3: Tuesday, November 9, 2021
- Day 4: Wednesday, November 10, 2021
- For individual donors, staff of foundations and other grantmaking entities (e.g. program officers, grants managers, senior leaders), board members, philanthropic advisors, evaluators, affinity group leaders, and members of funding collaboratives or funding circles.
- Open to people of all gender identities.
Please contact janel(at)womensfoundca.org with any questions or if you are interested in joining this year’s FPI class.
Tuition is based on a sliding scale:
Annual grantmaking under $1M
Annual grantmaking from $1M – $5M
Annual grantmaking from $5M – $9,999,999
Annual grantmaking from $10M – $24,999,999
Annual grantmaking of $25M or more